Monday, June 22, 2009

Banff Bike Fest







This past weekend brought my first stage race in hometown Banff.

On the Storm Hill climb, I did what I said I did not want to do...start to quick. 3 minutes in I was saying shit while huffing and searching for more air and trying to clear out the acid in my legs. Finished 5th, but 2 secs off 4th and 3 secs off 3rd :( Note to self, don't start too quick. Chalk it up as all part of the lessons learnt in each race.

Friday's race on the 1A was my highlight. Being paired up with the Cat 2/3 group, I was unsure how to play out the race..do I bother chasing breaks when they could very well be cat 2/3 and burn out? Robbie said to hold off unless it was a group of 10 or so. Did not have to worry as the 45 odd person pack rode together to the turn around and went up the 7 odd mins climb up the split road. At the top of these climbs I noticed how many riders were somewhat suffering and I felt well. 2 odd km's left and the pace picked up, I knew we had a good kicker to end the race and hung in around 10th spot. The boys who took off were now slowing coming up the last km hill. Up the first bump and the sprint was on up the hill finish. I really wanted to stay ahead of the 3 Cat 4 riders I knew, got out of saddle and gave er...ended up taking aaron schooler at the line for 2nd overall!! 1st in cat 4 as well.
I am stoked to beat out the 24 odd cat 2/3 riders to the hill finish...great to take the race on my home road. :) pays off living in the mtns and training on the hills.

Saturday brought my first ever T.T. Did not want to start too quick and burn out. Overall I was happy with my results...legs were a tad soar from Friday. 6th place 7 secs off 5th and 9 secs off 4th. James Jenzen is a machine in the T.T...hope I am that strong when I am his age. Loved being in the TT position, envious of the all boys with their multiple thousand dollar TT bikes...hanging in there with my 6 year old cannondale.

Saturday night's Crit was my first crack at a crit as well. Plan was just to not crash and get a groove on as the race proceeded. Stayed in top 4 or so feeling well and focusing on avoiding the 6 odd spills that occured right in front of me.
Last lap, behind Thomas down Bear St when Kevin came by us. Into last corner and not sure what happended as it occured so quickly...ended up in the bus lane and came back to out sprint Thomas just shy of Kevin - good job Kevin :)
I definitely lost this race as I envisoned the days before being in 3rd going in straightaway and sprinting for 1st....but came around last corner waaaay to wide and Kevin was all of a sudden too far.
Shoulda coulda woulda's definitely, but was happy with a 2nd place and in general where I was positoned the whole race....and no crashes for my first ever Crit. Again learning experience every race.

Don't dwell on mistakes, learn from them.

Full results are not out from ABA, but should have enough points to move up to Cat 3 now.

Pocketed $350 as well, help pay for diapers :)

Would have loved to have Seth on the podium with me. He is toooo cute in these photos though!!

Overall a great weekend. Huge exposure for Banff, I strongly believe this can turn into Canada's top road race someday.

Props to Steve, Scott, Darren and Keith who rode well in the invite race..good job boys.

No comments: