Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bow 80 or lack of

Oh the Bow80, half the stress of this race is making the sign up in April. Sold out in 20 minutes this year where a few friends missed the boat.

So with only 4 races on my calendar this summer, the Bow 80 was a race I was waiting 4 months for as it is so epic in so many ways. After road provincials I was pumped to keep my fitness and go in a race where there was no drafting, no hiding in the pack, it was you against the trails with epic 1 hr ascents and descents. Even though I realized I would not have time to ride 5 hrs of training - time to win race - I was relying on my mental strength to pull me through. Hard intervals on the trainer when I had time between work and family with a few rips around tunnel mtn and minnewanka had me excited to battle.

Unfortunately mother nature stepped in and dropped snow and freezing temps the week leading up. After last years gong show with snow and pulling half the field off the course, the race organizers cancelled the race a few days out for safety concerns.

Murphy's Law the temps were high teens to 20's next 2 weeks. In his e mail Bob mentioned looking for earlier date next year - lets hope so as this race always ends up with weather issues.

See you next year Bow 80

Somewhat of an anti climax for me now with cancellation of this race, where next race is literally 8 months away. Work so hard at achieving a fitness level then all of a sudden done for 8 months. Well not quite done per say but I thrive for the race competition of biking and now so far away until next challenge. Saying that super excited for x country ski pulling 2 little ones around - 40 odd lbs - to keep the fitness alive over winter and come out strong in spring for Velocity again...??

No comments: