Monday, July 25, 2011

"Off the couch" Gran Fondo and Little Bow

Signed up for http://www.granfondorockies.ca/ in March excitedly. But after Banff races, realized how much biking takes it's toll on the family. Being I wanted to keep my wife and kids, I literally biked 'hard' only twice (2hrs per) in the next 5 weeks putting on 15 lbs with the thought of forgoing the Fondo race and entry and just enjoying our summer. I did bike with the kids several days / week but still. Feeling quite gross in Whitefish over a # of drinks, decided to enter the Fondo while coordinating it with a family trip to Little Bow - only 45 mins drive from there to Nanton. Steve found a $30 left crank for my bike as well so was first time on the road bike in almost 5 weeks - ouch

            Woke up Saturday morning in Banff to fresh snow on the peaks while being able to see your breath, 3 hour drive later arrive to high 20's at Little Bow - same province?



Show up at the start line expecting maybe a few top guys, well not only a few but a whole lot. Trek Red Truck, HR Block and all sorts of boys were there going for the $500 1st prize. Now I was saying to myself 'what was I think going in a 140km race having ridden 4 hrs in the previous 5 weeks'?

Our group in the Elite race consisted of 35 guys, within 20 minutes it was down to 12 after the first set of hills!! I made that 12, rode hard for next 1.5hrs when Dallas and I popped after a savage peppering of attacks on a large hill. Rode the duration with Dallas, Jeff Bolstad and another dude where we split up near finish, I ended up 12th. 

Quiet happy considering my fitness and the caliber of riders in the top 12 - half of them just back from a week of racing BC Superweek and being full time riders.  craigclogan.blogspot.com/ took the sprint over 40 year old Ian Auld with Kris Dahl in 3rd - the 3 of them got in a breakway in the attacks when I cracked.

Overall one of the funnest, hardest days on the bike. The terrain was as good as it gets - hills after hills and repeat. It's too bad there were no fellow RMCC members there - sure missed out. Congrats to Sean Taylor with www.bicyclecafe.com/ for 8th place and $185.

45 mins drive later I was back at the lake in cooking weather, 5 mins after arriving down at the beach with a beer - perfect. Mike had his boat out so good times on that as well

Seth in drivers seat with his 6 'girlfriends'


Boys playing


Thanx Dave for the nutrition tips  http://www.performanutrition.ca/

No comments: